By Shawn Michael Shoup on August 28 2012
I snapped this pic of my kids at the park Sunday afternoon. A little perspective changes things, doesn't it? Think about it...
- Hearing a song from your youth and thinking to yourself, "THAT's what that song was about. Oh, boy! How did I miss that?"
- Coming back from a misions trip to a third world country and realizing how materialistic you are.
- Being the brunt end of a joke versus the one laughing. It's different being on that end, isn't it?
- Having someone point out the speck in your eye when it seems like there is a plank in theirs (Matthew 7:3-5).
Or, on the flip side...
- Seeing all of the beauty in a person when society shuns them.
- Standing up for the truth when living a lie is so much easier.
- Shining light in the dark places when it's more comfortable just living life, well...comfortably.
- Striving to live your life like Jesus when it's not only unpopular, it's looked down upon.
One of the challenges of being a NextGen leader is helping students to look at things through a different lens. When the world is pushing one perspective, you are lovingly sharing the truth -- asking them to look at life differently... more like Jesus see things. A little perspective changes everything.